sally rogers and claudia schmidt at arboretum cohousing!
Arbco is delighted to host legendary folksingers and songwriters Sally Rogers and Claudia Schmidt. They have been performing and recording together for almost four decades, and have won the heartfelt admiration of audiences everywhere. Don’t miss this precious opportunity to see them in Madison.
Thursday, August 8 at 7:00 p.m.
How We Began
Arboretum Cohousing was started in 2003 by a small group of people affiliated with the Madison Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers). We were lucky to find a potential building site early in the development process. The group spent several years meeting, planning, fundraising, coordinating with City officials and neighbors, and marketing before formally buying the land from our neighbor, St. Mary’s Hospital, in August of 2007. Construction began the next day, and most members moved in one year later. We were helped throughout development and construction by the generous financial assistance and enduring patience of St. Mary’s, and by support in many forms from neighbors, the City of Madison, local non-profit agencies, and our families and friends. We are especially grateful for help we received from the members of Madison’s flagship cohousing community, Village Cohousing.
- Number of households: 40
- Types of homes: 2 new multi-family buildings with 29 units; a duplex built in partnership with Habitat for Humanity; a triplex with 3 rehabbed townhouses; 6 free-standing houses kept from the original site.
- Unit sizes: from approximately 750 SF to approximately 1500 SF
- Size of site: 2.2 acres
- Location: 1 mile from the University of Wisconsin campus; 1 mile from downtown Madison [ insert map link]
- Number of people: 90 as of February 2015
- Number of children: 28 as of February 2015
- Age range of members (as of February 2015): 3 months to 85 years